UAE citizenship for expats
Citizenship in the UAE
There are different categories of citizenship in the UAE. Read on to know about each of them.
- Citizenship by Descent
It is possible to get UAE citizenship through descent for the children of UAE citizens born abroad. They can apply for their passport before turning 18 years and will obtain citizenship.
- Citizenship by Marriage
Marriage is also a way to obtain UAE citizenship. Women must be married for at least 7 or 10 years to a UAE national to become eligible for a UAE passport.
- Citizenship by Naturalization
If you have been living in the UAE for 30 years on permanent residency, then you can get UAE citizenship.
- Citizenship by Investment
Investment is one of the ways to acquire UAE citizenship. Capital investment in business and real estate purchase two options through which you can get a UAE citizenship easily.
- Citizenship for Special Merits
Under the new immigration rules, foreign doctors, scientists, investors, creative people, and athletes can qualify for UAE citizenship based on their extraordinary skills.
Benefits of UAE citizenship
There are many benefits of getting UAE citizenship –
- You get the option of dual citizenship. This means you can retain your former passport which is not the case for citizenship in various countries.
- Possibility of buying property and investing in UAE businesses.
- Visa-free travel to no less than 167 countries (one of the largest numbers in the world).
- No personal income tax and tax filing requirements for private individuals.
- The UAE economy is really secure so you don’t have to worry about your future.
Who can obtain Dubai citizenship as per the new laws in 2023?
Based on the latest changes in the legislation, the newest Dubai citizenship rules include the following categories of immigrants who can qualify for United Arab Emirates citizenship –
- Foreign investors
- Specialists in various fields of activity
- Doctors and scientists
- Inventors and intellectuals
- People with creative skills
UAE citizenship requirements
Here are the 2023 Dubai citizenship rules for each category of applicants –
- Property ownership is the mandatory requirement for foreign investors, while the minimum value of the real estate must be 1 million AED.
- Doctors and other specialists must have at least 10 years of experience in their fields, plus their skills must be in high demand in the UAE.
- Ten years of experience are also required in the case of scientists
- Investors must have at least one patent approved by the Ministry of Economy in the UAE.
- Creative people must have at least one international award for their talents.
In the case of foreign persons with creative skills, recommendations from their governments are also required.
Read how you can renew your visit visa in the UAE.
Eligibility conditions for foreigners interested in UAE citizenship
Foreigners who are interested in applying for UAE citizenship are required to follow certain eligibility criteria. Here are some that you need to be aware of –
- For medical professionals
Doctors and other physicians must be specialized in a domain that is sought in the UAE and must have at least 10 years of experience in his/her field. Apart from these, one must also be a member of specific organizations in their field of expertise.
- For scientists
Scientists are welcome to apply for UAE citizenship 2023, but they must meet certain requirements. They need to be active researchers in universities, research centers, or in private companies. The 10 years’ experience in their field is also one of the main criteria for obtaining UAE citizenship. They are also required to submit a recommendation letter from an institution that is recognized in the Emirates. One of the special categories of scientists are inventors who must own one or more patents that are recognized nationally or internationally.
- For creative people
Creative people including artists and intellectual people can also apply for UAE citizenship provided that they are pioneers in their art or culture and have been awarded with at least one international prize. A recommendation letter from a recognized authority is also required.
Originally published May 09, 2023 15:47:12 PM, updated Jan 09, 2024