How to transfer your drivers licence?
You arrive in Dubai as an expat and now wonder whether you should be driving, taking the local taxi, Uber/Careem or taking the metro?
Before you even buy a car or hire one, remember that you have to transfer your license or take a driving test if you don’t have a license from the exception list below.
The countries that DO NOT require a driving test to transfer their license are:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Steps you need to take to transfer your LicenceIf you are from one the countries that do not require you to take a test and want to transfer your license, you will need to:
- Have your original driver’s license and a photocopy of it
- Have a NOC (No Objection Certificate) form your sponsor
- A valid Eye Test from the Dubai Health Authority
- Original Emirates ID
Once you have these documents, the next steps are:
- Visit the RTA service center and present the documents.
- The RTA will verify the authenticity of the driver’s license
- RTA will open a file for the customer (if this is their first time)
Once the license is printed, you will receive the license
You can find additional information from the RTA here
PAYMENT:You will be required to pay around 870 AED for transferring your license. This is broken down into:
- 200 AED for opening a file
- 600 AED for issuing a license
- 50 AED for the handbook
- 20 AED for knowledge and innovation
If you are looking to buy a car, you will need to have valid insurance. Contact BuyAnyInsurance or call 800 765 429 and our insurance experts will assist you in finding the best policy for your car.
Driving License Check Online in UAE
How to Get Driving License in Dubai
How To Renew Driving License in Dubai
Originally published Mar 17, 2020 15:48:00 PM, updated Feb 20, 2023