Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in UAE
What is health insurance?
Health insurance is a type of insurance cover that pays for your health and medical expenses. Depending upon the type of health insurance you take, different types of illnesses are covered. It might also include – in-patient treatment, overnight stays in the hospital, and out-patient treatment. You would be required to pay a monthly or annual premium to avail the policy terms.
Types of Health Insurance
There are 4 types of health insurances in the UAE –
- Basic Health Insurance
The most common type of health insurance plan is basic health insurance. A basic health insurance plan covers policyholders against all the medical expenses caused due to an injury or illness. There are various companies in the UAE that offer basic health insurance plans. These plans cover the cost of treatment when you or your family members get admitted to a hospital.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
Comprehensive health insurance provides the most extensive cover against medical policies. covers the outpatient and inpatient medical expenses, including diagnostics and tests, cost of medicines, doctor’s consultations, etc. There are various types of comprehensive health insurance plans available and you can add covers like – dental cover, optical cover etc. to make the policy more wholesome.
- Shariah Compliant Health Insurance
Shariah compliant health insurance is also known as Takaful Insurance. It enables members to constitute a certain amount to support each other’s medical expenses. Under Shariah Compliant Health Insurance plans, the members agree to contribute to some mutual fund instead of paying monthly or annual premiums.
- Health Insurance with Direct Access to Hospitals
This type of health insurance has a direct tie-up with a wide network of hospitals and clinics. When you buy direct health insurance, you need not make your medical bill payment. All you can do is show your insurance card at the hospital and get the bill paid directly by your insurance service provider.
There is a complete list of health insurance companies in the UAE. Read about them and each of their features before buying any policy online.
Top 10 health insurance companies in UAE
- AXA Gulf Insurance
AXA Gulf Insurance is one of the region’s leading health insurance providers. There are different plans based on various budgets, so there will be something for everyone. Whether you need domestic medical insurance or face a medical emergency on an international trip, you would be covered by AXA Gulf Insurance. It works in close collaboration with over 3000 hospitals, clinics, and medical service providers. If we consider the global level, this level has reached around 800,000.
Some of the main features of AXA Gulf Insurance medical plans include –
- Instant coverage for all health insurance plans within minutes of purchasing.
- You can submit claims any time of the day and any day of the week through the claim settlement department.
- Add-on covers like personal covers, dental covers, and accident covers can be availed.
- The company provides a dedicated 24X7 customer support team to help you with your policy, claim settlements, policy renewal, and terms of the plan.
- You can find different kinds of policy plans like – domestic, regional, and international.
You can download their app or visit the website to know more.
- Abu Dhabi National Insurance Company (ADNIC)
ADNIC is one of the best health insurance providers in the region. It is really popular among customers because of the wide range of plans. If you are a UAE resident and are looking for comprehensive medical insurance for yourself or your family, definitely check out ADNIC and their health insurance plans. The Shifa range of ADNIC health insurance plans includes Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum variants which you can read more on their website. ADNIC also provides special health insurance plans for your friends and family visiting the UAE for a short duration of time.
The main highlights of the plans are –
- The assured sum ranges up to AED 5 million with ADNIC health insurance plans.
- Platinum Shifa health insurance plans cover special expenses like organ transplants based on the actual cost of the transplant and surgery.
- Several special ADNIC health insurance plans offer maternity coverage up to the actual limit of the plan.
- The company offers cashless treatment in 197 countries.
- All ADNIC health insurance plans include coverage for pre-existing conditions as well as chronic illnesses. You need to keep in mind that there may be a waiting period on the pre-existing condition cover depending on your chosen plan.
- If you get treated at a hospital that’s not affiliated with ADNIC, you can apply for reimbursement claims.
- You get the option for additional covers like optical covers and dental covers as well.
Here is the website where you can read more about their health insurance plans.
- Metlife Alico
Metlife UAE is one of the largest health insurance companies in the middle-east. It provides a range of simple, flexible and best-valued health insurance plans for you and your entire family. The brand needs no introduction and is renowned the world over for its amazing services. One of their most popular plans is Secure Plus. It gives you the flexibility to choose your coverage levels at a cost that suits you and covers death due to both natural causes & accidents with premiums starting from AED 80/ year. Some of the main highlights of the plans by Metlife include the following –
- The selection of plans protects you and your family and provides a cover of up to USD 10 million.
- It covers up to 32 critical illnesses including cancer, offers worldwide coverage, second option, and financial protection with no-claim bonus.
- Get the best treatment and surgeries across the best hospitals of the world along with flights and accommodation covered.
- You get financial protection for yourself and your entire family in case of a partial or complete disability due to an accident or illness.
You can easily download their app or visit the official website to know more about their comprehensive health insurance plans.
- Oman Insurance Company
Don’t get confused by the name, Oman Insurance Company is one of the biggest service providers in the UAE and is trusted by millions of users. The company was formed in 1975 and with decades of experience they have emerged to be among the best in the list of health insurance companies in UAE. The headquarters are in Dubai. It is one of the largest publicly registered insurance companies in the UAE. Health insurance plans offered by Oman Insurance can be categorized into two HealthPlus plans and the essential benefits plan of Dubai.
They have the following remarkable features in their insurance plans –
- The essential benefits plans are designed in such a way that they help and cover low-salaried workers like – domestic helps etc.
- The plans start from as low as AED 560 and cover both pre-existing and chronic health conditions.
- All the health insurance plans by Oman Insurance Company (barring the essential benefit cover) provide coverage for organ transplants.
- They offer full coverage in all emirates except for Abu Dhabi, where only emergency services are covered.
- You can add additional benefits to your plans like – dental services, wellness benefits, optical, alternate medicine, and psychiatric treatment as per the variant that you choose.
Visit the official website to know more about the plans and which one would be most suitable for you
- Adamjee Health Insurance
Last but certainly not the least on the list of top 10 health insurance companies in UAE is Adamjee Insurance. It is a Pakistani company that has made its way into the UAE and is doing exceptionally well. If you are looking for affordable yet beneficial health insurance plans in the UAE, then Adamjee Insurance is your one stop solution.
Some key features of the plans from Adamjee Insurance include –
- The plans offer cover for in-patient treatment services like hospitalization, doctor consultation, intensive care, ambulance services etc.
- Special maternity benefits of up to AED 10, 000 can be availed as part of their health insurance plans.
- The plans offer worldwide coverage with up to 4 different hospital network coverage options.
- Additional benefits like – vaccinations, work related injuries, dental cover, and preventive treatments are also covered in most of their plans.
- Get 24/7 customer support for easy and swift claim settlement and renewals.
Visit their website to know more about their affordable health insurance plans.
- Allianz Care
Allianz Care is a brand that’s known the world over. If you are in the UAE and are looking for the best health insurance plans, then Allianz Care would have the solutions for you. The plans are for international health insurance, life and disability, short term plans, or an emergency cover. The best part about the company is that they offer short-term plans that cover most of your healthcare needs on a day-to-day basis. These plans are best suited for individuals or families who are temporarily working or residing abroad for less than a year.
The main features of their health insurance plans are –
- Most of the plans offer worldwide coverage while certain plans offer comprehensive coverage in regional areas.
- 24X7 available multilingual customer care and emergency helpline service.
- Fully completed medical claims processed within 48 hours.
- Get comprehensive maternity benefits with coverage of all kinds of deliveries and pre and postnatal care.
- The plans cover pre-existing conditions as well as chronic illnesses. But you get the freedom to customize the plan as per your convenience.
- You may be required to buy covers like optical and dental add-ons with your policy.
Visit their website to know how you as an individual or business can avail their premium plans and safeguard yourself and your family.
- Daman Health Insurance
Daman Health Insurance is one of the few insurance companies in the UAE that provide only health and medical insurance, so you can rely on their expertise. The headquarters is in Abu Dhabi. It is the biggest health insurance service provider in Abu Dhabi and the third-largest provider in Dubai. The company was founded in 2006 but has come a long way in such a short span of time to prove themselves as a niche brand.
The main highlights of their insurance plans are –
- The company offers 4 basic health insurance plans – individual, family, essential benefit, and senior citizen health insurance plans.
- The plans start from as low as AED 800 including pre-existing cover as the basic benefit.
- They have a wide network of over 2000 healthcare providers in just the UAE.
- All the plans cover both in-patient and out-patient services as directed by the Dubai Health Authority.
To know more about their plans, visit their website.
- Bupa Global
Bupa Global claims to be your partner in health and is one of the best health insurance companies in UAE. Their international health insurance plans are designed to be used, and offer a premium healthcare journey with direct access to a global network of specialists, without waiting for a referral. There are different plans that you can avail to keep you and your family’s health and wellbeing in check. Allowing access to a network of over 1,700,000 medical providers around the world, the plans give flexibility to choose the best treatment.
Some of the main features that you can avail in Bupa Gloal’s health insurance plans are –
- In-hospital private rooms at world-class hospitals across the globe.
- Claiming on your plan will not increase your premium.
- You can see a specialist without a GP referral and 24X7 access to a doctor with Global Virtual Care.
- If you are diagnosed with cancer, the company will cover your treatment for as long as you are with Bupa Global.
- They also offer international health insurance plans that are perfect for people who want their treatment overseas.
You can easily download the app for android and iOS or visit the website to know more about the health insurance plans in detail.
- Dubai Islamic Insurance & Reinsurance Company
Dubai Islamic Insurance & Reinsurance Company is popularly known as AMAN and was founded in the year 2002. In such a short period of time the company has risen to fame and has become one of the best medical and health insurance services in UAE. It is one of the few health insurance companies that offer coverage for unique medical expenses like fertility treatments. Some of the main highlights of the plans offered by are –
- It offers five different types of health insurance plans, with each one having a unique structure and benefits. Al Shamel, Wiqaya, and Himaya health insurance plans offer worldwide coverage while Mo’azara and Sanad health insurance plans offer regional coverage.
- AMAN insurance offers up to AED 1 million as the assured sum with its health insurance plans.
- Basic plans offer all fundamental medical requirements like hospitalization, emergency ambulance rides, room rent, lab tests etc.
- You can also include add-on covers like dental and optical covers.
- It offers quick claim settlement of all kinds of health insurance claims, whether direct or reimbursement.
Visit their website to know more about the plans and choose one that would be most suitable for you.
- Ras Al Khaimah National Insurance Company
RAK Insurance has come up as the middle-east’s fastest growing insurance company. When making a list of best health insurance companies in UAE, we cannot miss the popularity of RAK Insurance. The company was established in 1974 and ever since there has been no looking back. They have won millions of hearts and the growing number of happy and satisfied clients is indeed a proof of their competency. RAK Insurance aims to create plans that are suitable for individual needs.
The main highlights of their health insurance plans are –
- 24X7 access to medical networks via our trusted Third Party Administrator (TPA) for rapid responses of queries.
- Swift and easy claim settlement in a transparent manner.
- Various co-payment options available and a worldwide coverage of up to 1 million AED.
- RAK Insurance plans cover both in-patient and out-patient benefits and the plans also cover pre-existing conditions and chronic illnesses.
Visit their website to know in detail about their individual and business health insurance plans.
Kritika Manchanda is a content writer with BuyAnyIsurance. She has more than a decade of experience of churning out SEO friendly content. When she is not writing, she is either reading, or making travel plans.
Originally published Oct 12, 2022 12:55:22 PM, updated Oct 28, 2022